The Russian-Japanese Youth Forum was held in St. Petersburg and Moskow on September 26-27. It involved 30 young people from Japanese, 40 – from Russia.
Participants of the forum are University students and representatives of youth public organizations from Russia and Japan.
At the opening ceremony, a welcome speech was made by:
- Referent of the Department of State Youth Policy and Social Projects in the Field of Higher Education of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation Rostislav Voitekhovsky,
- Deputy Consul General of Japan in St. Petersburg, Hideto Watanabe,
- Deputy Chairman of the Committee for External Relations of St. Petersburg Andrey Hlutkov
- Deputy Executive Director of the Alexander Gorchakov Public Diplomacy Fund Roman Grishenin
- Director of the Youth Policy and International Relations Institute “MIREA-Russian technological University”, Grigory Petushkov
- Representative of Japan-Russia Youth Exchange Center, Kana Okubo
Deputy of Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation, Marina Borovskaya in her speech noted the importance of understanding between young people of the two countries: “In March 2019 we celebrated the 20th anniversary of the signing of the intergovernmental agreement on the establishment of the Russian-Japanese Commission on Youth Exchange. Further deepening of understanding and trust between representatives of youth of Russia and Japan, development and strengthening of bilateral youth cooperation as a foundation of good-neighbourly relations is a priority for us”
Director of the Youth Policy and International Relations Institute “MIREA-Russian technological University”, Grigory Petushkov invited the Japanese side in 2020 to devote one of the joint youth forums to the topic of sports in the run-up to the XXXII Summer Olympic Games will held in Japan.
Young people discussed what they can do for the future of Japan and Russia.
Theme 4 sections:
- “Youth contribution to sustainable development goals,”
- “Development of youth volunteering,”
- “Youth entrepreneurship development,”
- “Youth exchanges in the field of culture,”
The Japanese delegation visited Red Square, the Kremlin, the Tretyakov Gallery and the Central Museum of the Great Patriotic War in Moscow, as well as the Hermitage in St. Petersburg.
Forum organizer: the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation; Federal State Budget Educational Institution of Higher Education «MIREA – Russian Technological University», carrying out functions of Coordination bureau of Russian-Japanese youth exchanges;
Russian-Japanese youth cooperation is carried out in accordance with the Agreement between the Government of the Russian Federation and the Government of Japan on the establishment of the Russian-Japanese Youth Exchange Commission of 15 March 1999.